Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My Kid is at Daycare and My Desk is a Mess

Everyone told me it might be traumatic, everyone told me I'd cry......

I was prepared for the worst when I took Zachary to daycare on Monday, but I had no idea mother nature would also try to chip in to make it more difficult.

On Sunday, Zachary started to cry uncontrollably. There was just nothing I could do to sooth him or calm him down and it broke my heart. I noticed the crying was worse when he wasn't elevated, so after changing myself twice and him three times in an hour, I decided we had a case of really bad gas or acid. The good news is that he got to be held all day by a guilt filled mom and dad. And then the weather came.

Monday was FREEZING, snowing, and COLD. I felt like mother nature was working hard to make my first commute to daycare long and tough. By the time we got to the front door, Kyle and I had arms filled with diapers, wipes, bottles, and a baby wearing 10 layers. We were still feeling strong enough to make it through the doors and then we saw a couple leaving in tears. It was their first day too. Kyle and I looked at each other, took a deep breath, and headed back to Zachary's room as a family.

We put his gear in his cubby, I handed over my 10 pages of notes on how to care for him, and then turned to Zachary to say goodbye. I watched Kyle lean over to whisper loving words and at that moment, I fought every tear from coming. It was just how I was told. I wanted to cry. I wanted to grab him and tell him I was sorry for leaving him. But I held it together for just enough time to get to the parking lot.....and then I balled my face off.

When I got to my desk at work, it had 3 inches of dust, files everywhere, and a computer with expired passwords and an attitude. It was a rough day back, but I was so excited to leave and hear about Zachary's day. When I got back to Zachary's room, his teacher smiled and said, "You have quite the little flirt on your hands. He's been smiling at me all day." I had to chuckle for a bit. After all of the worry and guilt, my little man seemed to smile through it all.

My family isn't perfect and we take it day-by-day, but I learned that putting on a smile and trying to make the best of the day is the truly best way to handle it all.

It's just another lesson I learned from our 12 week old baby.

2 comments:

  1. If I had been there, I would have made your desk all nice and organized and welcomed you back with some flowers to make you smile.
    I remember how hard these first few weeks can be.
    Hugs! You and Kyle have a super sweet little guy. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete